Freebooters coach and former Junior A team player, Paul Smith, was unfortunately diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND) earlier this year.

For 50% of sufferers, life expectancy from diagnosis is less than 3 years.

Search here:


June 24th 2022

Cheshire, UK

Paul is facing his biggest ever challenge – a fight against MND. Paul is a lifelong friend from our Loughborough University days, and I (Jonathan Earl) want to gather around him and his family and help them in this battle. Together, we can give Paul all the support he needs. Therefore, I along with 3 of my friends (Paul Clowes, James Robson, Tim Mears) are undertaking the 72-hole golf challenge on Friday 24th June 2022.

This will be played over the following 4 courses; Macclesfield GC, Prestbury GC, Mottram Hall GC and finishing at Macclesfield GC. All holes will be walked, and all holes completed in full, with no gimme putts. Just like Paul’s attitude to life, this fundraising is about not giving up. But it’s more than that. It’s about strength in numbers. It’s about loved ones, friends, colleagues and acquaintances pulling together to help him and his family through the toughest challenge they’ll ever face. 75% of the money raised will go directly towards expensive drug treatments to help Paul maintain his mobility, transport, specialist home care and the huge costs that Paul and his family will face soon. The other 25% will go directly to The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association (IMNDA), who have given and continue to give Paul tremendous support and advice.